Monday, August 6, 2012

My Challenge to Myself... Bathtub Crayons? (It was a flop.)

My goal was to blog about the weekly activities I did with the boys. My goal was not necessarily to have successful activities.
We attempted bathtub crayons, but they are more like soap shapes and they are  still not dry, five days later! I got this activity from googling and reading another crafty mom's blog and all the comments were so positive, so I thought it was a no brainer.

We got out all of the supplies; Ivory Soap, grater, soap dye, measuring cup, a candy mold and water.


Then we began grating the soap, I think it should have been more finely grated, perhaps that was one of our many errors.


We grated two bars and then added about a third cup of water and began to stir...


and stir...


Then we separated it into different containers so that we could add dye to create the crayon colors. Next, we pressed it into the molds.


We mixed in more colors and tried to press some out with cookie cutters.


So after all this, I put it in the freezer for a bit and let the stuff solidify a little bit. Then I pulled them out and set them on the counter to dry and 5 days later they are still pretty pliable.
I am game for trying this activity again in a few weeks, any tips on what to do differently would be appreciated...





No comments:

Post a Comment