On Saturday, Bradley got to show Buckwheat the crossbred barrow.
It was a LONG super hot afternoon, for the entire family at the fair.
My mom flew in from New Orleans, my dad and his wife drove the hour north and many of our local friends and family came to watch as well.
The temperature was near 100 degrees and I made the mistake of dressing Bradley in his show clothes (JEANS, boots, and nice shirt) before we left, he was SO hot, note to self I will not do that next year. He asked if he could go play in the sandbox at the fairgrounds while he was waiting, I of course said no because he had his show clothes on and I didn't want them dirty, so he had to wait until after he finished showing. After about 3 hours, it was finally time to line up for class number seventeen. Bradley went back to the pens and helped his cousin Morgan get his pig ready and then they walked it down to the waiting area to go in the ring. By the time I got back around to the show arena, he was already in there! That judge watched those pigs walk around forever, finally he started placing them in pens, Bradley ended up in pen number four. He got fourth place, which meant no ribbon for him, but he didn't care he just wanted to go play in the sandbox with his friend Peyton. So off he went!
Sometimes, I forget that he is only three. He did such a great job showing, he kept that pig moving the whole time, he has so many years ahead of him to learn about showmanship. A big thanks to "Aunt" Bryan, Aunt Janet, and his cousin Mogan for helping him and for the wonderful opportunity. Yeah, this former cattle show girl is so elated that at least one of her children already seems to enjoy this livestock showing thing. Those memories from working with and showing animals are some of my greatest childhood memories and I hope that I can help my children create some similar ones too.
Getting ready before his class...
My mom flew in from New Orleans, my dad and his wife drove the hour north and many of our local friends and family came to watch as well.
The temperature was near 100 degrees and I made the mistake of dressing Bradley in his show clothes (JEANS, boots, and nice shirt) before we left, he was SO hot, note to self I will not do that next year. He asked if he could go play in the sandbox at the fairgrounds while he was waiting, I of course said no because he had his show clothes on and I didn't want them dirty, so he had to wait until after he finished showing. After about 3 hours, it was finally time to line up for class number seventeen. Bradley went back to the pens and helped his cousin Morgan get his pig ready and then they walked it down to the waiting area to go in the ring. By the time I got back around to the show arena, he was already in there! That judge watched those pigs walk around forever, finally he started placing them in pens, Bradley ended up in pen number four. He got fourth place, which meant no ribbon for him, but he didn't care he just wanted to go play in the sandbox with his friend Peyton. So off he went!
Sometimes, I forget that he is only three. He did such a great job showing, he kept that pig moving the whole time, he has so many years ahead of him to learn about showmanship. A big thanks to "Aunt" Bryan, Aunt Janet, and his cousin Mogan for helping him and for the wonderful opportunity. Yeah, this former cattle show girl is so elated that at least one of her children already seems to enjoy this livestock showing thing. Those memories from working with and showing animals are some of my greatest childhood memories and I hope that I can help my children create some similar ones too.
Getting ready before his class...
Finally show'n that barrow, for the first time by himself.

No comments:
Post a Comment