After reading some other blogs, I have decided to challenge myself to be a more
hands on mom. I was looking forward to being a SAHM so that I could keep up with the laundry and household chores along with being at home with my kiddos. However, I tend to obsess over the cleaning and the household chores and I know in my heart I need to focus more on the boys and doing activities with them more often and teach them how to play.
So once a week, probably on Thursdays (it just works for this wife of a railroader) I am going to do a hands-on craft type of activity with the boys and blog about it. Feel free to share activity ideas and steal them.
Last Thursday, we did microwave puffy paint art.
It was so easy we mixed
1Tbsp. Flour
1Tbsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Tbsp . +/- Water
Food Coloring
Each batch is enough for 1 color of paint, we made four batches.
I was feeling quite daring and I let Bradley do most of the mixing and pouring in of ingredients.
No crazy colors for us, but I suppose it could be an option.
It works best if they really glob on the paint and paint on cardstock instead of printer paper.
Microwave for 20 seconds to create "puffy" paint.
Tada! This coming Thursday I think we are going to make sidewalk paint that I am stealing from my friend at Brining Buzz as long as it isn't too hot or raining. (I won't complain one bit if it rains.)
I know what you mean about the housework.So hard to set it aside, but it can wait. it will be there tomorrow but you just can't get back a day with your little ones.They'll be off to college before we know it! Also, a tip for the puff paint: put it in squeeze ketchup and mustard bottles like the red and yellow picnic type; its much easier than smearing with a brush and it exercises different small motor muscles! May be a little too hard for jax to squeeze yet, though.
ReplyDelete